- Diese Veranstaltung hat bereits stattgefunden.
Strengthening resilience to shocks and stresses in African Food Systems
Oktober 17 @ 16:00 - 17:30
IN PERSON AND ONLINE
The world is currently faced with multiple health, climatic and military crises that are putting unprecedented pressures on global and local food systems. In Africa, high levels of vulnerability and low absorptive capacity compound the resulting disruptive effects. The real challenge facing African countries is not the level of exposure per se, but the lack of capacities to anticipate and respond to prevent occasional shocks from resulting in massive suffering and irreversible damages to livelihoods. It should be possible to further delink vulnerability from large-scale and permanent disruption by enhancing countries’ capacity to innovate and craft more effective and timely resilience-building policies and programs.
This event will explore possible solutions to reducing African countries’ vulnerabilities to external stresses and shocks through targeted interventions within the food system. Speakers will address various resilience-building interventions, including the opportunities presented by a bioeconomy, a thriving agroprocessing sector as well as the enabling environment, i.e. the policy and institutional innovations needed to accelerate transformative change.
Moderator: Joachim von Braun, Distinguished Professor, Center for Development Research (ZEF) and Co-Chair of the Malabo Montpellier Panel
Welcoming remarks and introduction to the book “From Potentials to Reality: Transforming Africa’s Food Production” by Joachim von Braun
Introductory remarks by Anke Oppermann, Head of Directorate 12 „Decent work worldwide, food and nutrition security”, Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
- Ousmane Badiane, Executive Chairperson, AKADEMIYA2063 and Co-Chair of the Malabo Montpellier Panel (virtual)
- Eng. Dr. Dorothy Okello, Dean, School of Engineering at Makerere University, Uganda and Malabo Montpellier Panel (virtual)
- Mahamadou Issoufou-Wasmeier, Regional Director West-, Central- Africa and Caribbean, Welthungerhilfe
- Heike Baumüller, PARI Coordinator and Senior Researcher, ZEF, University of Bonn
- Anke Oppermann, BMZ (virtual)
The event will take place at the Center for Development Research / ZEF (conference room on the groundfloor), Genscherallee 3, 53113 Bonn, and will also be accessible via Zoom.